Exceptional Drivers Recognized for Outstanding Effort and Dedication
JOPLIN, Mo. - November 21, 2011 - Con-way Truckload, a full truckload carrier and subsidiary of Con-way Inc. (NYSE:CNW), today announced the 12 winners of its Drivers of the Month recognition for August and September 2011.
“These drivers truly are the best-of-the-best. They continually work hard to ensure the livelihood of Con-way Truckload’s core values of safety, integrity, commitment, and excellence,” said Saul Gonzalez, chief operating officer, Con-way Truckload. “To be able to work with these drivers truly is an honor and I congratulate and thank them.”
The following drivers were recognized by the company:
• Contractor Team of the Month: Michael & Lori Downey began driving 10 years ago as a second career, joining Con-way Truckload in 2004. Their advice to fellow drivers is to pay attention and adjust to changing weather. “If you feel like conditions are worsening, just slow down or pull over until they improve,” they say. The Downeys reside in Neodesha, Kan., and when they are not on the road, they enjoy relaxing and spending time with their family.
• Company Driver of the Month: John Wilkins began his professional driving career four years ago and joined Con-way Truckload in 2009. While he enjoys the challenges that driving brings, he understands that the key to safe travel is space and patience. Wilkins resides in Orland, Ind., with his wife Paneerak. Together they have five children, Joy, John, Stina, Nuka and Nunu, and four grandchildren.
• Company Team of the Month: Lee Chapman and Bernard Richter both chose driving as a second career, leaving their old jobs for the open road. “Everything changes day to day, but with proper planning we arrive safely and on time,” Chapman says. As to what he enjoys about his job, Richter adds, “We love to travel, and it never gets boring out here.” Chapman lives in Oceanside, Calif., where he enjoys restoring classic cars. Richter resides in San Diego and has four children with his wife Rosie. When he’s not behind the wheel, he enjoys flying planes and sailing.
• Contractor Driver of the Month: Santiago Rios recalls growing up playing with toy trucks, knowing one day he wanted to own one. He has been driving professionally for more than nine years and has driven more than 975,000 miles since joining Con-way Truckload in 2004. Rios enjoys the freedom of the road, and the advice he shares with other drivers is simple, “Drive cautiously, follow all the rules and return home safely.” Rios lives in San Antonio with his wife Shave and their three children.
• Company Driver of the Month: David Proctor has been driving professionally for more than 15 years and has driven over 915,000 miles since joining Con-way in 2005. He advises, “Even after working for the company for six years, being overly confident should be the number one concern for drivers.” He appreciates that driving allows him to tour the country, seeing places and sights he never knew existed. A resident of New Orleans and father of three daughters, Proctor enjoys in his free time playing chess and reading.
• Company Team of the Month: Robert and Joe Melendez have achieved more than 1.9 million miles in the years they have been driving for Con-way Truckload. The brothers advise new drivers to have patience and never be afraid to ask questions. They understand that driving is a team effort and are thankful to the company for always getting them home when necessary. Austin, Texas, is home to both Robert and Joe. Joe resides with his wife Claudia and their three children.
• Contractor Team of the Month: Robert and Cecilia Wallraven, known on the road as “Father Time” and “Mother Nature,” have driven more than 2.9 million miles since joining Con-way Truckload in 1998. They advise other drivers to maintain one’s truck and keep all eyes on the road. Robert and Cecilia currently reside in Clarksville, Tenn. They have been married 27 years and have five children, 11 grandchildren, two great grandchildren and four poodles. In his spare time, Robert enjoys riding his two Harleys, while Cecilia has published a children’s book and enjoys writing poetry.
• Contractor Driver of the Month: Alan St. Peters enjoys the adventure of driving a truck and waking up each day in a new location. He has been driving professionally for 39 years and has driven four million plus miles during his professional driving career. His advice to other drivers is simple, “Be aware of what’s around you at all times.” St. Peters lives in Gainesville, Texas, with his wife of 11 years, Ann, and their son Dan.
The following 13 drivers have achieved the significant career milestone of one million miles driven during the months of August and September:
• Brian Wines of Sandyville, W.Va.
• David Blocker of Webb City, Mo.
• Donald Dollar of Crystal City, Texas
• Donna Wassmer of Harrogate, Tenn.
• John Struth III of Winnsboro, La.
• Rebecca Furlong of Copeville, Texas
• Richard Hume of Lorain, Ohio
• Richard Rice of Joplin, Mo.
• Valarie Miller of Espyville, Pa.
• Howard Williams of Bronaugh, Mo.
• Owen Keefus of Battle Creek, Mich.
• Eugene Carroll of El Paso, Texas
• Ricardo Lee of Norfolk, Va.
Follow the company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ConwayInc.
Con-way equipment images are available at www.con-way.com/en/about_con_way/newsroom.
About Con-way Truckload
Joplin, Mo.-based Con-way Truckload is an operating company of Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW) and a leading provider of expedited, time-definite full-truckload transportation services across North America. Formerly Contract Freighters, Inc. (CFI), Con-way Truckload today employs over 3,000 drivers with a fleet of more than 2,700 tractors and 8,000 trailers operating throughout the United States as well as internationally in Mexico and Canada. The company provides full-truckload transportation serving the transcontinental shipping needs of commercial and industrial businesses as well as sister company Con-way Freight. For more about Con-way Truckload, visit us on the Web at www.con-way.com/truckload or call (800) 641-4747.
Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW) is a $5.0 billion diversified freight transportation and global logistics company.