Company endorses refrigerant-bearing products designed to lower environmental impact with next generation, low global warming potential refrigerants
Brussels, Belgium, February 4, 2015 – Ingersoll Rand (NYSE:IR), a world leader in creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments, is pleased to announce another milestone in achieving its climate commitment, a roadmap to significantly reduce the environmental impact from its operations and product portfolio by 2030.
Ingersoll Rand has created the EcoWise™ portfolio of products for its climate and industrial refrigerant-bearing products that are designed to lower environmental impact with next generation, low global warming potential (GWP) refrigerants and high efficiency operation. These products are compatible with and can use next generation low GWP refrigerants, reduce environmental impact by lowering greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and maintain or improve safety and energy efficiency through innovative design.
“The Ingersoll Rand EcoWise portfolio is a demonstration of our commitment to reducing the impact on the environment, and providing more sustainable product choices for our customers – particularly as they make the transition to products using next generation, low GWP refrigerants,” said Didier Teirlinck, executive vice president for Climate businesses of Ingersoll Rand. “In addition to the series of products we are announcing today, the company will continue to introduce commercial, residential and transport HVAC, and transport refrigeration products that achieve the criteria for the EcoWise endorsement.” The first products to earn the EcoWise endorsement are:
- Trane Sintesis™ air-cooled chiller is energy efficient and quiet, and offers customers the choice of operating with a next generation, low GWP refrigerant -- DuPont™ Opteon(R) XP10 (R-513A) or with R-134a. Following the company’s announcement on January, 26th 2015 that Trane Sintesis™ with the option of the new refrigerant would be available in North and Latin America for June 2015, this will now also be an option available in Europe, the Middle East and Africa from July 2015.
- Trane Series E™ CenTraVac is a large-capacity chiller that uses the same low-pressure design on which current CenTraVac chillers were based, and uses a next generation, low GWP refrigerant, Honeywell Solstice™ zd (R-1233zd(E)). It is up to 10 percent more energy efficient than the next available centrifugal chiller available today, and is available in Europe, the Middle East and other 50hz markets including Japan.
- Thermo King truck and trailer refrigeration products sold in Europe and global marine refrigeration units are safe, reliable and efficient, and use DuPont™ Opteon(R) XP44 (R-452A) refrigerant which has about 50 percent less GWP than current refrigerant. New SLXe™ trailer units with next generation refrigerant will be available in February 2015. New factory units and retrofit kits will be available in the European Union in 2015.
About our Climate Commitment
Ingersoll Rand is helping to solve some of the world’s most pressing challenges – including the unsustainable demand for energy resources and its impact on the environment. To create a sustainable future, Ingersoll Rand announced a profound climate commitment in September 2014 – a roadmap to significantly increase energy efficiency and reduce our environmental impact from our operations and product portfolio by 2030 (with milestones at 2020). Our climate commitment has three prongs and includes:
- 50 percent reduction in the direct GHG potential for our HVAC products by 2030
- 35 percent reduction in GHG footprint of our own operations by 2020
- $500 million investment in product-related research and development over the next five years to fund the long-term reduction of GHG emissions
This commitment benefits customers and the climate by creating more sustainable product choices for customers, improving our operating footprint globally, and continuing to develop lower GHG emissions options in areas where none exist today. This commitment will result in the avoidance of approximately 20,850,000 metric tons of CO2e globally by 2020, which is equivalent to the energy used by nearly two million homes for one year. Further details of Ingersoll Rand’s commitment are now publicly available on the website.
About Ingersoll Rand
Ingersoll Rand (NYSE:IR) advances the quality of life by creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments. Our people and our family of brands—including Club Car(R), Ingersoll Rand(R), Thermo King(R) and Trane(R)—work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings; transport and protect food and perishables; and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a $13 billion global business committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results. For more information, visit www.ingersollrand.com.