TOKYO-Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (MOL, President: Akimitsu Ashida) today announced the start of the Safety Campaign for all its operated vessels effective October 1, 2009.
During the campaign, the company will concentrate on exchange of opinions between onshore and seagoing personnel regarding MOL’s approaches to safe operation, and measures to prevent the spread of the new influenza epidemic.
This will increase mutual awareness of safe operation at sea and on land to further reinforce the MOL Group’s safe operation structure.
1. Term: One month from October 1 to 31, 2009
2. Outline of campaign
(1) Maritime officers and land-based personnel will pay in-person visits to vessels, deepening mutual understanding between seafarers and onshore staff and further increase awareness of safety.
＊Target vessels: MOL-operated vessels, Group company-operated vessels (ferries, cruise ships, etc.)
(2) Exchange opinions about ways to reinforce the ongoing safe operation management structure set forth after lessons from serious marine incidents in 2006.
(3) Explain company policies, countermeasures, specific preventive measures, and cautions to counter the new strain of influenza. Exchange opinions about on-site responses, and maximize efforts to prevent infection.
(4) Fully communicate the results of opinion exchanges with seafarers on safety and health management to relevant departments in an effort to ensure ever higher levels of safety.